Sunday, April 8, 2012

Completed! - SD Unicorn

Here is my SD Unicorn Gundam. After completing my 00 Gundam - Reborns Colors, I felt like I need some more practice with shading. I also wanted to try Mr. Mark Softer for applying decals. It works so much better than Micro Set and Micro Sol. I also wanted to try a different flat coat. Model Master Flat Clear Acryl works ok, but I'm not really happy with it. Based on the recommendation of from the guys at Depot Train and Hobby (my local hobby shop), I tried out Testors Spray Lacquer Dullcote. I was told, "it's the only flat coat." I think I may have to agree. I'm really happy with the results.

Here is the list of products I used:
  • Alcald II Lacquer Gray Primer & Microfiller
  • Model Master Classic White
  • Model Master Light Sea Gray
  • Model Master Cadmium Yellow Light
  • Mix of Model Master Classic Black and Model Master Cobalt Blue
  • Tamiya Dark Grey
  • Apple Barrel Neon Green
  • Apple Barrel Neon Red
  • Pledge Future Floor Acrylic 
  • Decals from Samuel Decal.
  • Mr. Mark Softer
  • Testors Spray Lacquer Dullcote
Here is the finished product.




















Since I used neon colors, the kit glows under a black light.












Thoughts on the kit...
I like this kit. For an SD there aren't that many seam lines. I like the addition of clear parts as well. I think the beam sabers are the only hollow parts. Even underneath the shield has details. The only real criticism I have, is the lack of a good Unicorn mode. Half the kit is always in destroy mode. After seeing all of the swap-able parts with the SD AGE-1 kit, I would have liked to see that with this kit as well.

Thoughts on my work...
Not sure this is better than my 00 Gundam. Shading looks pretty good. Neon colors didn't spray real well. Took a lot of time to get them to spray decently. Once that got sorted out, all of the painting went pretty well. Because they spay so lightly, it's easy to apply shading by just coloring over the white/gray shade. Decals went on perfectly. Parts got scratched a bit on assembly though. Because there were so many layers of paint on the neon parts, they didn't fit very well. Especially the chest. The chest construction is different than most SDs because of the transformation. It's a pretty tight fit normally, but when you add primer, gray, white, a few light coats of neon red, and a gloss coat, it's not going to fit together. Had to do some sanding. Had the same issue with the face mask. Unfortunately with that piece, I scratched the chin pretty well. Even though I don't like redoing parts, I had to with this one. Heads on SD kits are the focal point and having a very noticeable scratch really stands out. I painted both face parts however, the unicorn one will never be seen. As I mentioned in my thoughts about the kit, I really don't like the look of the look of "unicorn" mode. 


In all, I think this kit is good, but not my best. It's not significantly worse than my 00 Gundam, but I think all the issues with the neon paint really show up under black light. Still don't have a kit that's showcase worthy yet, but I'm getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment