Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekly WIP - Full Armor XN Raiser (Part 6)

Got back to work on this kit. Nothing too interesting to show. Mostly just been sanding. There is a surprising about of flash, a few uneven surfaces, and even parts that just don't fit right. Maybe this is fairly normal, but I'm trying much harder to be a better modeler now. And part of that is paying attention to detail. So now I'm noticing more of the defects than I use to. With that said, let me show you some of those details.

First up is the GN Sword II Blaster. For the most part Bandai did a good job covering up the seam lines. So I think it's odd they didn't do anything about the area above the clear green part and the part by the handle. There's also one on the inside of the part that attaches to the forearm. However, given the way it attaches this will be covered up.

There's also some flash all the way around the handle. A little tough to see but trust me it's there.


There's also some flash right in the middle of the blue piece. I can't explain this one. Maybe it's suppose to be there, but I doesn't look right to me.


Next up are the GN Katar. So there's a seam line on both sides of the blue piece. I have no simple fix. I think this part going to be tough. There are some gray detail parts that show through the blue. I think this is going to take some masking and hand painting to get right. Not looking forward to that.


Next is the GN Sword II Long. Much like the GN Sword II Blaster, there's seam line above the green piece and by the handle. There's also the same flash issue on the handle.


The biggest issue is the seam line that goes all the way around the blade of the sword. There are too little openings for a gray piece to show through. This is for the gun mode. Masking seems like it would be tough. Probably going to require hand painting.


Lastly are the fins on the 0 Raiser. As I mentioned in a previous WIP, there's a nice seam line all the way around these. So to get around that, I opened the white parts up, marked how the blue piece fits, and then cut away at it such that the opening wont show. Since I don't move my kits once posed, this is a great solution for me as I'm sacraficing articulation. Once glued, I noticed that it's a bit of a tight fit. Definitely going to scratch once painted. To prevent that I'm going to do a little sanding on the opening. Need to be careful to not sand away too much.


Notice something unexpected when I glued these parts together. They don't fit nicely. On both sides they just don't line up. Just needs some putty, but it's a bit disappointing to see this. Plus I've had such bad luck with putty. I was really hoping to avoid it on this kit.



Well that's all for now.

What else I'm into...
Baseball. Specifically Indians baseball. Ok so I know the Indians really have no chance to make the playoffs, let alone win the World Series, but I enjoy the game and they're my team. But it's early and I can be optimistic. So, GO TRIBE!

No comments:

Post a Comment