Friday, January 6, 2012

What's in the box? - 1/100 XN Raiser Conversion Kit

This kit is made by Model Legend to convert the 1/100 MG 0 Raiser. I do not know if it will work with the 1/100 NG version, but I assume with some modifications it could. I purchased mine off of ebay. Not sure if this is the best place to get it from, but it's really the only reasonably reliable place I could find to order it from. On the box there is a website listed presumably for the company that makes or distributes this (www.mrr.asia), however when I visited the site, all of the image links were down. I will however recommend this seller as I had no issues ordering or receiving my kit. There is one issue that may arise when ordering this kit that didn't impact me, but may be and issue for others.

As for the box itself, it's not that interesting. I like the cover shots, but other than that there's not much going on. This isn't really surprising and in my experience is fairly typical. The box itself has roughly the same length/width dimensions as a standard MG box, however it is considerably thinner. This isn't surprising considering it's a conversion kit for an add on to another MG.


Once the box is open, a nice looking manual is sitting on top. It's about half the size of a MG manual. Instructions don't look great, but it's nice to have a lot of different photos.



Under the manual are 3 bags. The first one contains the parts for the conversion kit. The parts are divided into 4 different sections. This is really nice when doing a parts check as the manual has them divided this way as well. This is where the problem I mentioned earlier could be an issue. I was missing a part. Fortunately, it was for sword mode which I will not be using. Since I bought this from an ebay seller, I'm not sure what the process is for getting the part replaced. From now on, if I buy a kit online, I'm going to ask about if I can get replacement parts.






Next bag contains some parts for a clear base. Wasn't really aware that a base was going to be included, so this is nice. To be honest I would have preferred a cheaper kit that just contained the conversion parts, but maybe that's just me. There are no instructions for how to assemble it, but it's simple enough to figure out. The stand parts are not interchangeable with Bandai Action Bases, but I believe with simple mods, they can be used. The parts that would connect to a model kit appear to be the same as a Bandai action base.


The last bag has some random parts. There's a big plastic piece with a photo etched part saying "XN- Raiser 187" with the Model Legend logo and name. There's also a big plastic ring. Not sure what this is for. There are also some stickers to go on the kit. At least I think they are stickers. They are sticky, but they feel thinker than a sticker. They are pretty shinny. They seem nice and I am consider using them. Lastly, there are two beam sabers, which they call "Lightsabers." I think they're kind of interesting since they are jagged. They're also thicker than your standard beam saber. According to the backing that is in the package with them, it looks like they will work with any standard Bandai beam saber.


Well that's all. Personally I think the kit is a bit overpriced. I don't really need a base or some extra beam sabers. As for the kit itself, it looks very nice. Casting is pretty clean. Details look nice. Very little flash, mold lines, and nubs. Only problem I had was a missing piece. For me this didn't matter to me, but it's something to watch for any time you get a resin kit. Over all, I'm quiet happy with this purchase. If you want a 1/100 XN Raiser to go with a MG 00 Gundam, consider giving this a shot.

2 comments: