Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekly WIP - MG Strike Freedom (Part 2)

What I'm working on...
Put some work in on the base. Didn't go as well as I would have liked. Added some milliput to fill in the holes. Followed that up with some sanding. The I hit it with some primer. The result? Not what I wanted. 



Clearly that's not going to do. Sanded out the spots where the primer splattered. Looks ok. Needs a little little primer to fill in some spots. I also put some filler putty in to fill in the cracks. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Still need to sand that down. Expect a pic next time.

Since that didn't go well I started with some color sampling. Painting is my favorite part, so I was hoping this would cheer me up. At first I was really psyched. The red and lighter blue were looking really good. The grey is close, but it looks like it needs a little blue and probably some white. No big deal.




Then I got to the dark blue. That's were things took a turn for the worst.


It totally clogged my airbrush. So annoying. After some experimentation, I figured out the problem. This paint MUST be thinned with water and nothing else. It recommends 4 parts paint to 1 of thinner (aka water). That's what I did to get this.


Color looks good, but the paint still wasn't cooperating. It was splattering all over the place. So I think I'm going to need to thin it 4 to 1.5 or 2 to 1. It also has some red spots. Not sure what that's about. These spots/streaks are much more evident where I applied some Future. Going to need to play with that a little more before applying it to actual pieces.

That's all for now. I think I'll be able to fix base and start painting it. With that on the way to being done, I guess it's time to examine the waist (aka the first parts to go on the base).

What else I'm into...
The seventh season of How I Met Your Mother starts tonight. Since it's one of my favorite shows, I am quite psyched for this. I get the sense my theory of Norah being the mom will be crushed, but that's ok. I'll just have to come up with a new one. Check out the promo vid for the season premier here.

For any fans of amazing guitar work, check out the album Dechristianize by Vital Remains. Dave Suzuki is an amazing guitar player. I understand that some may be turned off by the lyrics and themes but give it a chance. Check out the title track below. It's 8 minutes of awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment