Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekly WIP - MG Strike Freedom (Part 4)

What I'm working on...
Continued work on the base. Added putty to fill in the cracks, sanded back down, and re-primed. How did it turn out?


Looks good like that.


Bottom part looks good.


...and now there's a problem. New cracks. Not sure what to do. This is the third time I've tried this. Probably going to give up. I'll probably wet sand away as much as possible, but anything serious will probably be left alone. I'm sick of working on this piece and I think I'm just going to cut my loses.

Moving on to the waist part. Sanded them down, washed them and started priming. Needs a little wet sanding to smooth it out, but they look good. Excited to get painting.


Speaking of painting, I had some more color sampling to do. First up the gold. Tried a few different things. The only two that are even worth sharing are below.


One sample is Testers Gold Or (guess nobody caught the typo). 


The other is Testors Gold Or covered with Mr. Color Clear Yellow. 


Not sure which one I'll go with. Leaning towards the second one as Strike Freedom's gold is a bit more yellow than standard gold. Any suggestions?

Next up is the dark blue. As I mentioned in a previous post, there were random red spots in the paint I was planning to use. That wasn't going to work. Plan b, mixing my own. Only look 3 attempts before I got the color I was looking for.


It's 2 parts Blue Angel Bule, 3 parts Plum Crazy, and 2 parts Classic Black. It's much shinier than the plastic part, but I think with a flat coat it will look good.

Since I didn't list the brands/colors of the others in a previous post, I'll do it now. Don't have a photo for Model Master Gloss White, because... well it's white. Everyone knows what white looks like.


Testors Red Rouge. Looks orange in the photo but it's your standard red.


Medium Sea Grey


Cobalt Blue


Primer. Why this primer? Well I was having a lot of trouble on some previous kits using other primers. So I went to the local hobby shop looking for a solution. This is what was recommended. It's working pretty good. No issues. Given that story, I'd like to plug the shop now. It's called Depot Train & Hobby and is located near Cleveland, OH. I've had nothing but a great experience there. They have a bunch of random stuff (not much gunpla though) and the employees are very helpful. Since I found this place, I haven't gone anywhere else. If you're in the area, check them out.

What else I'm into...
X-Men Destiny. So I was fairly excited about this game after hearing about all summer. Read some review that weren't good, but it was mostly because the gameplay was repetitive. I hate that as a comment. Every game is pretty much the same thing the whole game when you dumb it down. Anyways I wasn't hearing any comments that I didn't hear when Ultimate Alliance came out, so I picked it up anyways. At first I thought the game was pretty good. But after playing a few hours, my opinion is changing. The camera is kind of annoying. The controls can be a little (ok maybe more than a little) slow. The talking/interaction interface is terrible and virtually necessary. The graphics aren't what I've come to expect from the current generation of consoles. Other than that I kind of like the game. There's actually a story that's worth following. The game have a lot of customization which I like (how they do it doesn't really make sense though). With all of the customization and the choice you can make in the story, it seems like there are some good reasons to play again. There's really a lot of unfulfilled potential in this game. If the makes the strides that X-Men Legends (or Ultimate Alliance) 1 and 2 made, I would definitely get the sequel. Although I can't recommend this game to buy, I'd suggest checking it out. 

Well I'm off to the bar to watch some football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment