Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekly WIP - MG Strike Freedom (Part 3)

What I'm working on...
So I didn't get much work done this week due to some work obligations and lousy weather. I did however start work on the waist. Specifically the guns. 


As you can see there's a nice big seam line right down the middle which needs to be removed. There's two ways to do this. 

Approach 1 - Mask, paint, repeat for each color (there are 5 colors for this section).
Approach 2 - Alter the parts so they can fit together after the seam line is sealed.

Since I'm doing a fixed pose, I went with the second one. Opening the white armor parts it's fairly obvious how to modify the grey parts.


The next part was to separate the grey and gold parts. Although it was an easy modification, it wasn't as obvious. Clearly the parts that go around the pegs just required a bit of cutting. The tricky part was addressing the sliding gimmick. My solution was to lay the parts out and fully extended. Then I used putty to fill in the hole for the sliding gimmick. Then I cut the other end out. When I do final assembly I'll probably have to glue these parts together.


What was the end result?


Looks the same to me. Well I've got some priming and painting to do now on the waist and base. Looking forward to that.

What else I'm into...
Darren McFadden and the Oakland Raiders! Been really tough to be a fan for much of the past decade, so a 2-1 start (that should have been 3-0!) including an upset victory over the Jets has made me quite happy. Hopefully they can keep this up.




No comments:

Post a Comment