Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekly WIP - Clare (Part 2)

Wasn't really feeling the Strike Freedom project this week. So I figured I would work the Clare project until my gunpla mojo returns.

What I'm working on...
Since you last saw this kit (WIP 1), I finished the little bit of clean up that needed to be done and then re-primed the kit. I am using grey Krylon primer. Works pretty great, but mother nature didn't seem to like it. As I was priming is started getting pretty windy. I was applying a second coat to make sure I got the entire kit covered when a gust of wind blew all of my piece off the table and crashing to the ground. Luckily, nothing was damaged. The Krylon dries pretty fast so only 2 or 3 pieces had any noticeable defect. Nothing a little sandpaper couldn't fix.

With that mess over, I was able to start painting. For this kit, I am going to try shading for the first time. Going for a real subtle shade. First up, the white clothing. I used a mixture of Gloss White and RAF Medium Sea Grey for the base coat. 


Then I hit it with plain gloss white. For the first coat, I did a light misting over the entire kit.Barely any white could be seen at this point. Then I went over all of the raised areas with 2 coats of gloss white. Lastly I did another misting coat to blend the grey and white. I think the end result looks pretty good.




Up next, the face. Lot going on here. First coat was Light Flesh. Clare in very pale so I didn't want to start with a dark base. Turns out, I probably went too light on the base coat. After that, I used a mixture of white and Basic Skintone. I hit the raised parts with the first to coats and then a light mist coat to blend. Lastly, I went over just the raised parts with a mixture of white and Highlights Flesh. 


I'm not entirely pleased with this result. The shading didn't really come through. Since I don't want to re-paint it, I think I'm going to try using a wash. Hopefully that will fill in the lowered areas and give it some depth.



Next up the hair. First I tried a mixture of Gloss White and Cadmium Yellow Light. This color did not work at all. Way too bright. Attempt #2 was a mixture of Cadmium Yellow Light, Bristish Bulg LT Stone, and RAF Medium Sea Grey. Seemed to be a pretty good base color. After that I added a little Gloss White to lighten it up. 


My shading didn't work so well on this part. I think I got carried away with the mist coat. I'm going to try a wash on this too to see if that can improve the situation. 



Lastly, I tackled the steel armor. First I went over the parts with 3 coats of Gloss Black Base. I followed that up with 3 coats of Klear Koat. After that, I buffed out every piece so they were as smooth and I could get them. Then I went over them with 3 light coats of Steel.


This is what they look like now. A little darker than expected, but that's ok. The pieces are also very dull. Hopefully after some buffing and polishing I get the effect that I'm looking for.


What else I'm into...
South Park. I love this show and last week's episode is a great example of why. Over the top, offensive, and  very funny. And as a cherry on top, lots of your momma jokes. Seriously, who doesn't love those.


No comments:

Post a Comment