Monday, November 14, 2011

Kit Building - Kotobukiya M.S.G. Gatling Gun

So the weather stinks today, so I decided to start a new segment on my blog which I will call Kit Building. My favorite part in the model building process is building the kit. Lucky for me, with any "completed" kit, I get to do this twice, final assembly and the initial snap fit. So from time to time, I just like putting a kit together with no intention on painting it right of way. In these Kit Building post, I'll go over the steps in the building process and my opinion of the final result.

With the intro out of the, it's time to start building. Today I'll be working on the Kotobukiya Modeling Support Goods Gatling Gun. Check out the unboxing here.

Step 1 - Looks like we're starting around the wind up gimmick and building around it.


Step 2



Step 3



Step 4



Step 5


Step 6 - A half dozen pieces and 5 steps later, the wind up gimmick is finished. Time to turn this into a gatling gun.


Step 7




Step 8


Step 9 - The basic shape of the gun is done. Time for the detailed parts. First up, an ammo pack.




Step 10 - Then the top handle.


Step 11 - Next up the gun handle.


Step 12 - Lastly, add on all of the details.


Size Comparisons
Since there is no scale for these kits, size comparison is important. First up, with a 1/100 NG Exia.



Personally, I think 1/100 scale is the right scale for this kit.

Next up, an older 1/44 HG Zaku II.



The gun is about the same size as the mobile suit. Not really appropriate to match these in my opinion.

Lastly, compared to an SD Unicorn and Hyaku Shiki.



Ok, this obviously isn't made for SDs. But I think you could make a pretty interesting "base jabber" type craft with 2 of them. Would probably fit a 1/144 scale kit too...

Final Result:

I've got to say, I like this kit. The wind up gimmick is fun. The detail on the kit is pretty good. All of the parts snapped together and fit like they should. My only complaint is that I don't have a kit to use it with at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment