Monday, January 2, 2012

Kit Building - 1/100 NG F90II - L Type (Part 2)

You can check out what's in the box here and Part 1 here.

Step 7 - Fist accessories are the beam rifle and shield. Shield design isn't great. Has to hold it funny. And the manipulators are equally as bad, but expected on a kit this old.



Step 8 - Next are the front and rear skirts and the beam saber handles. The connection for the handles is just a hole and they just sort of rest in there. I guess it works, but seems like a poor design.



Step 9 - Now it looks like it's time to start the L Type weapons. Parts look good and should be interesting on the final kit.



Step 10 - Now the part I've been waiting for, the main cannon!



Step 11 - Not much going on here. Just adding extra ammo. The gun alone doesn't look terribly impressive. It's a little disappointing.



Step 11 - Time to put on all the new L Type weapons.


But first, a few pieces need to be removed. I liked the blue on the shoulders. Hope this lost of color doesn't detract from the end result.


Here is the final result!



My impressions of the kit...
So this isn't a terribly impressive kit which isn't unexpected. This kit was made over 20 years ago. Very little articulation, not much color separation, and some bad seam lines and nubs. All of this I pretty much expected. What I didn't expect is the really lose joints. I don't think this kit would have balance issues, but the joints are so flimsy I can't actually get it to stand without collapsing. That's why the final shots are on an action base. I think some fairly decent poses can be pulled off an action base. In the end, I cannot recommend this kit for someone new to the hobby or those that don't paint their kit. However, with a little paint and glue I think this can be a fairly nice kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment