Friday, December 30, 2011

Kit Building - 1/100 NG F90II - L Type (Part 1)


You can check out what's in the box here. Now lets start building.

Step 1 - Instructions start with the feet/ankles.

*On this kit I only reduced the nubs on parts where the nub was in the way. This was intentionally done to show where the nubs are on the completed kit.



So the completed foot/ankle looks good but there are 2 things to point out. One, the instructions are a little goofy. The piece you see is F5. Well it's backwards in the instructions. Build enough kits and you may not even notice. If this is your first kit, it might cause some confusion. Secondly, the white ankle armor has a terrible connection. Three of the four I can kind of get to stay, but the other doesn't hold at all. Glad to see Bandai got rid of this type of connection.


Step 2 - Next are the legs.



So this is the first multi-color part I had to de-nub. I should have explored this piece a bit before cutting. On the underside you can see that it's really the yellow plastic laying on top of the white. So if you aren't careful removing the nub, you can take a big chunk out of the kit. Some putty can fix this, but I would recommend sanding in this situation over using a hobby knife.


Step 3 - Next up are the arms. Pretty standard stuff here. Instruction include some red armor parts. I assume these are for the normal F90II. Not sure why this is done. Maybe this kit is like the 1/100 HG Tallgesee III and it makes multiple kits?



Step 4 - In this step the torso/waist is built. You can really see the age of this kit here. The waist is molded with the torso, so there is no articulation here.



Step 5 - Next up, the head. It's interesting that the face is molded with the helmet. I sort of like this. Not for an MG, but for a 1/144 kit I can see this being nice. I also like the blue eyes on the kit. Nice change of pace from the standard green.



Step 6 - Time to put it together now. Well the joints are a little bit flimsy. This doesn't really bother me as I tend to make my kits fixed posed, but this could be a problem for others.



Well that's all for now. Next time, weapons and accessories! And there's a lot of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment